Wednesday 18 September 2019

The Existence of Amy by Lana Grace Riva


Synopsis


Amy has a normal life. That is, if you were to go by a definition of 'no immediate obvious indicators of peculiarity', and you didn't know her very well. She has good friends, a good job, a nice enough home. This normality, however, is precariously plastered on top of a different life. A life that is Amy's real life. The only one her brain will let her lead.


My Review


I was thrilled when this author contacted me to see if I would be interested in a copy of her book to review.  Of course, I accepted and then the fear set in.  What if I didn't like the book and I had to leave a review that was a bit sugar coated.  I've always prided myself in being totally honest when providing my feedback.  Thankfully, I can honestly say I truly enjoyed this book.


The Existence Of AmyIt was written in the first person, which is not a style I have read a lot of, but for this story it worked perfectly and drew me into Amy's world.  This felt very much like reading a very personal diary which although you feel you shouldn't be reading has a naughtiness that keeps you hooked.

Amy suffers from OCD and Depression and her symptoms are so bad at times that she is restricted from living her life.  She feels that she is simply watching life pass her by without being involved.  She has some big obstacles to face when her job sends her to the other side of the world.  A long haul flight is not something that her fears allow her to face easily,  In fact, her fears seriously restrict even the most basic of daily routines.

Amy sinks to her lowest point when her friend announces that him and his wife are moving to Singapore.  Amy feels alone and encases herself in her flat blocking out the world for weeks on end but what Amy is unaware of is that she doesn't have just one friend,  She has a whole army of people there to support and help her.

I am thankful that I have never suffered with any kind of mental health issues but this book allowed me to see inside the mind of someone who does and I certainly feel it has given me a better understanding of how people that suffer with these illnesses must feel.

I would highly recommend this book.  My only problem with it was that it had to end.  I would love to know how Amy's story continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment