Tuesday 28 May 2019

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

Synopsis

When your past comes calling, it's time to disappear...

Pilgrim is the code name for a man who doesn't exist.  The adopted son of a wealthy american family, he once header up a secret espionage unit for US intelligence.  Before he disappeared into anonymous retirement, he wrote the definitive book on forensic criminal investigation.

But that book will come back to haunt him.  It will help NYPD detective Ben Bradley track him down.  And it will take him to a rundown New York hotel room where the body of a woman is found face down in a bath of acid.

Her features erased, her teeth missing, her fingerprints gone.  The perfect crime, it;s a textbook murder - and Pilgrim wrote the book.

What begins as an unusual and challenging investigation will become a terrifying race against time to save America from oblivion.

Author: Terry Hayes
Publisher: Bantam Press
Publication date: October 2013

My Review


To be honest I like to write my reviews straight after reading the book whilst it's all still fresh in my mind however I completed this book over a week ago and to be honest I am still not sure if I enjoyed it or not. It's one of those books that I loved in places and wanted to give up on in others.  I don't discard a book easily and I plodded on through.

It's not my usual type of read however I am trying to broaden my genres and decided to give it a go. I had read really good reviews on this and decided why not.  The book is over 600 pages in length and I did find it really tough going at times.  There were points especially half way through when I seriously considered putting it aside but I pushed on with it and made it to he end. Honestly, I do think this book could have been cut down in length and it really would have sped the story up a little bit.

There were points in the book that really gripped me.  I really loved the building up and the getting to know the character Saracen.  His father was murdered and now he's out for his revenge.  He is a sinister, cunning and very clever man that will stop at nothing to try and destroy America and change the world that we live in forever.  These chapters I was gripped by and the pages flew by.

There were a lot of moments in the book where nothing much seemed to happen to keep my interest and I was tempted to flip through a few chapters to get back to the good stuff.

I really enjoyed it when Ben, tracked down the Pilgrim.  Pilgrim had gone to ground after writing a book on how to commit the perfect murder and he wanted to try and have a normal life but that was never going to happen.  Finding out Ben's back story was quite heart breaking at times and added a little warmth to what other wise could have been a very cold book.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes. Well, I think I did.  Would I read the sequel? Probably not.



No comments:

Post a Comment